Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 15 days 0%
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alt abuse?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 pm 

Faction: Flight School
I've been playing Skyrates for a while, I currentely have two characters who, story-wise are trying to kill each other, one of them is going to be part of the Crimson Armada and I'm planning on there being a third character who is going to be part of the Azure League. Now, I don't quite understand Alt abuse but is it a bad thing neccessarily to have a character who is part of one faction and another who is in a completely different faction? Oh, and if your curious, the other character I have is Independent. Oh and if this has already been covered a million times before then I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention.

Post subject: Re: Alt abuse?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 pm 

Kallie wrote:
I've been playing Skyrates for a while, I currentely have two characters who, story-wise are trying to kill each other, one of them is going to be part of the Crimson Armada and I'm planning on there being a third character who is going to be part of the Azure League. Now, I don't quite understand Alt abuse but is it a bad thing neccessarily to have a character who is part of one faction and another who is in a completely different faction? Oh, and if your curious, the other character I have is Independent. Oh and if this has already been covered a million times before then I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention.

No problem, there's a lot of confusion about this sort of thing no matter where you look.

Alt abuse is when you use multiple characters in the same faction to gain large amounts of influence very quickly. Having characters in different factions is quite alright, although some of the more jaded and cynical among us will call you a spy. If you are still confused, then I propose a three-point test:

Are your characters:
a) in the same faction?
b) running influence on the same skyland/skylands?
c) focusing on influence above all else?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then it is alt abuse. In general, if you feel like you're cheating, you're cheating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm 
Developer

A very prickly subject indeed.
See http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Alt for some background.

See also phil's post for a Dev's "ruling" on the subject at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2214. A small quote:
Quote:
We do not want you to use alts to concurrently run missions at a skyland, for the sole purpose of boosting a faction's influence at that skyland.
Leonore Elsgau's post above seems to put a lot of emphasis on the "sole purpose" part, which is a bit like playing catch with bottle rockets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

Two points of clarification, it's still alt abuse to have multiple characters in different factions running influence unless you're running equally for all factions (and I think even that was shot down as it can still be used for abuse).
Additionally, while it could be argued as alt abuse to run any influence, alt abuse is usually only brought up if a lot of influence is being run. If you're just picking up missions for money or danger on an alt that's acceptable. I'm too lazy to search for it, but I'm sure there's a dev ruling on that.

The terminology has also been applied to people who create alts in other factions to give themselves a vote in the faction, to try to oust their government, etc. That's usually where the prickly issue lies, and with no explicit dev ruling there's people on both sides of whether it's "abuse" or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 pm 
Flirt

Faction: Azure League

That said, if your alts are simply for RP purposes, you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 pm 

My understanding has been that running significant influence with more than one character qualifies as alt abuse. The question is, what is significant influence? I don't think we ever got a clear answer from Taft on the matter. I ran the vast, vast majority of my influence on my main character but carried combat missions on my alts for better, higher level combats.

I would disagree with Karhallarn that running influence equally across your characters is okay. There's no way to easily verify this as a player or as a dev. I would strongly discourage you from going down that road.

There are some who consider having alts in different factions solely for the purposes of listening in on the Faction tab of the radio (or chat as the new kids like to call it). Personally I do not count this as alt abuse, I count using an unsecured forum for strategy as incredibly naive and begging to be exploited. I do not engage in this myself, I do not have the time but I don't castigate players who do. I do not in anyway consider Faction Chat sacred ground. I do consider Wing chats and off-site forums to be pretty well sacred though I'd guess Wing chats have been compromised before as well as our own Crimson Armada offsite.

But it doesn't sound like you're planning on running heavy influence, just RP'ing which affects me not at all since I don't RP. I do stir the pot when emotions get all charged up from time to time and I will absolutely stand by my comrades when others insult or assault them though. You attack one Senator, you attack us all.

See this? This is my BOOMSTICK!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:51 am 
Flirt

Faction: Azure League

e_e

Way to welcome the newcomers, Fenriq.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 pm 
Snuggler

Faction: Jade Hand

Fenriq wrote:
You attack one Senator, you attack us all.

Flight School has Senators? :remywicked:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:57 pm 

Fenriq wrote:
You attack one Senator, you attack us all.

It's true. If you punch Fenriq, you get charged with one count of assault for each current Senator. Also, they all feel it. It's like the Crimson Armada is a swarm intelligence or something. :remygrin:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:37 pm 

I'm still not entirely sure about this. Is it or isn't against the game rules to have more than one character actively playing in quests and factions?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:28 pm 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

By the strictest definition, it is against the rules to have more than one character in a faction (Flight School and Independent don't count for this) doing missions. You can have more than one character in a faction, just not running missions. By the usual interpretation, nobody cares if you don't run that much influence on alts, so long as only one in a faction is doing heavy influence running. An exact number is not specified (to give the devs leeway if they think you're trying to game the system), and technically you can run heavy influence on 50 alts at once as long as they're all Independents (or only one is in a faction). Some of the people going for governorships might complain though. They probably wouldn't complain if you had only one other alt who was Indy running missions. Also you could have an alt in every faction who did nothing but copy/paste everything said in faction chat to general (or logs for other people to read through), but while that's not expressly prohibited it would probably be frowned upon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 am 
Developer

And by "probably", he means "definitely".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:14 pm 

Okay now I understand.